Pitcher Ben Lively made a 96 mph statement on Monday night during his debut as the new Pitcher for the Pensacola Blue Wahoos in a game against the Huntsville Stars.
Lively, just 22, grew up in Gulf Breeze. He and his sister Emily are the only children of Eddie and Ginny Lively. His sister Emily just graduated from Gulf Breeze High School, she is his biggest fan and cheerleader.
It was the best Monday night for ticket sales since the Wahoo’s came to town, a sell out crowd of 5,038 fans. The reason? Last night marked the first time a homegrown baseball player came back to Pensacola to play before a hometown crowd. Even though the Wahoo’s lost 6-2, it was a proud moment for the area.
Anyone that knows Ben Lively and his family hoped it would happen, and sports fans all over the area hoped it would happen too. The pitcher came home.
Here are some stats for the game and for Lively:
- He had eight strikeouts, that was the most by a Blue Wahoo pitcher in their first start.
- Monday nights game marked Lively’s first Double-A start.
- He was taken out of the game when his pitch count reached 97 in the fourth inning.
- June 7th was the last time he pitched a game.
- High school was the last time he had to bat.
- Lively was at UCF in 2013 when he became the 4th round draft by the Cincinnati Reds.
- He is ranked #127 in Baseball Americas top 500.
- Lively was the 135th overall selection, was the 18th player drafted under head coach Terry Rooney, and the third selection in the top four rounds in UCF history.
Out and About Pensacola went to the game last night. If you have never been before we suggest getting some tickets and taking the family or a date to America’s favorite pastime in our backyard.
The Pensacola Community Maritime Park is lovely, the parking is ample and the concessions are tasty, varied and reasonably priced. All the seats provide a great view. You can grab a drink and a hot dog and stand behind the home plate if you want a different perspective.
There is even a lawn area where you can watch a game picnic style. The party deck provides shade and a great vantage point for the game.
On July 6, 27 and August 3, 17, 31 the park offers Blues on the Bay sponsored by Blues Angel’s Music. It is from 5 – 7 p.m.
Hill Kelly Dodge, Cox Communications and Cat Country 98.7 sponsor a movie night at the stadium. June 27 will be: Mr. Peabody and Sherman. The other dates are July 18 and August 29, movie titles are TBD. The movies are free and start at 8:30 p.m.
There is so much to offer at the Community Maritime Park and to having the Pensacola Blue Wahoos in our backyard.
The Pensacola Blue Wahoos and Community Maritime Park
ADDRESS: 301 West Main Street, Pensacola, FL 32502
HOURS: Varies depending on event
WAHOOS FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/BlueWahoosBaseball